One July Afternoon

 One July Afternoon


As I walk homewards, the sun shines above me in a spotless blue sky. The weather on this day reminds me of the warm summer days I had revelled in months ago, years ago. The path that I walk takes me back to the quaint, picturesque roads I once walked, punctuated by mountains and bazaars. The wind that caresses my face blows back little lost parts of myself, those that I unknowingly left back in moments, and experiences: everything around me is a gate wildly flung open, through which I can go against the imposing gush of time, back to the moments, hours, days, weeks and years when I truly felt free from all influence, when I felt the total chance and serendipity of me being here, drawing breath, alive; when I knew that my feet had their place in this world, and my thoughts and ideas were a part of our shared consciousness. But, even if I were to run away from my road and revisit these memories, would I still be content? Would I feel the miracle of this chance assembly of dust and matter we call life, and not try to rationalise or reason it out? Would I still say that I am free, and not just a cog in this unquestioned and elaborate system of make-believe?


Written by Dev Ruparelia

Edited by Rashee Shetty


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone Garden

We Need to Retire the Phrase ‘The Man of the Relationship’

The Doors Of Pondicherry